Welcome to the Universe is
a personal guided tour of the cosmos, using as a core, the book by that title, by three
of today’s leading astrophysicists.
This SDG, and our core book was Inspired by the enormously popular introductory astronomy course that the authors: Neil DEGrasse Tyson, Michael A. Strauss, and J. Richard Gott, taught together at Princeton.
This SDG covers it all—from planets, stars, and galaxies to black holes, wormholes, the big bang, search for life in the universe, cosmic inflation, and much more.
Describing the latest discoveries in astrophysics, the informative and entertaining core book propels us from our home solar system to the outermost frontiers of space. How do stars live and die? What are the prospects of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe? How did the universe begin? Why is it expanding and why is its expansion accelerating? Is our universe alone or part of an infinite multiverse?
Answering these and many other questions, the authors open our eyes to the wonders of the cosmos, sharing their knowledge of how the universe works.
Breathtaking in scope and stunningly illustrated throughout, our core book (and this SDG) which includes the latest discoveries of Astronomy about the Universe is for those who hunger for insights into our evolving universe that only world-class astrophysicists can provide.
This SDG is suitable for those with and without a science background.
Join us in exploring this most fascinating journey into the stars, or galaxy and beyond.
1) 1) The Size and Scale Of The Universe; From The Day And Night Sky To Planetary Orbits
2) Newton's Laws; How Stars Radiate Energy (Part 1)
3) How Stars Radiate Energy (Continued); Stellar Spectra
4) The Lives And Deaths Of Stars
5) The Search For Life In The Galaxy
6) The Interstellar Medium; Our Milky Way
7) The Universe Of Galaxies; The Expansion Of The Universe
8) The Early Universe; Quasars And Supermassive Black Holes
9) Einstein's Road To Relativity; Implications Of Special Relativity; Einstein's General Theory Of Relativity
10) Black Holes
11) The Shape Of The Universe And The Big Bang
12) Inflation And Recent Developments In Cosmology
13) Latest Developments In Astronomy And Astrophysics;
14) Latest Developments In Astronomy And Astrophysics Our Future In The Universe
Welcome to the Universe Princeton University Press 2016