!. How Buddhism emerged and spread. The first session will conclude with an optional five minute guided meditation for those SDG members who wish to have this experience.
Harvey, Introduction, Chapters 1 and 2, Keown, Chapters 1,2 and 6.
2. The sects of Buddhism and their emergence. The adaptations within Asian countries.
Optional ten minute meditation at the conclusion of the discussion.
Harvey, Chapters 4,5 and 7
3. What constitutes and defines Buddhist practice.
Keown, Chapter 4, Great World Religions, Disc 1, Sections 3 and 4.
4. The meanings of Buddhist symbols, accoutrements for practice, and Buddhist art.
5. Buddhist deities and how they are used in practice
Harvey Chapter 8
6. Buddhism in daily life: mindfulness and compassion practices.
7. Buddhism, Ethics, and Politics in today’s world
Harvey Chapter 9
8. Death, afterlife and rebirth. The dying process, does anything come after, and if so, what?
Keown, Chapter 3, Harvey Chapter 2.
9. Buddhism in the workplace and burnout.
10. Meditation for believers and non-believers: Mantras and mindset
Harvey Chapter 11, Keown Chapter 7,
11. The science of meditation and changes to the brain.
Keown Chapter 7, Hanson Chapters 1-4.
12. Buddhism, a belief without God
Keown Chapter 1 again - retropective. Philosophy, religion, psychology. Wright,
13. Buddhism in coexistence with other religions.
Selections from writings of HH Dalai Lama
14. Summary discussion: Buddhist traditions and practices that have been adopted by the western world. Keown, Chapter 9
HH Dalai Lama, THE ART OF HAPPINESS, Paperback $12.00
The Great Courses : Great World Religions: Buddhism
Available online through Amazon $7.99/month subscription
Rick Hanson, PhD, Richard Mendius, MD, BUDDHA’S BRAIN, the practical neuroscience of happiness, love & wisdom. Paperback $17.95
Pema Chodron, START WHERE YOU ARE , Paperback $10.13
Damien Keown, BUDDHISM A Very Short Introduction. Paperback $9.10
Peter Harvey, AN INTRODUCTION TO BUDDHISM: Teachings, History and Practices (Introduction to Religions) Paperback $17.55
Charles S. Prebish and Kenneth K. Tanaka Editors, THE FACES OF BUDDHISM IN AMERICA , Paperback $19.16
Tatjana & Mirabai Blau, BUDDHIST SYMBOLS Paperback $14.95
Leah Weiss, HOW WE WORK. Copies will be available for group.
Robert Wright, WHY BUDDHISM IS TRUE, Paperback, $17.00
Lama John Makransky, AWAKENING THROUGH LOVE, Paperback $15.00- This book is out of print and available copies are costly. Removing from suggested list.